a midsummer's night dream


First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you! I hope you're happy next to the people you love.


Story told short, this is another project of mine, based on some theatre costumes for Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream. I chose to create three collections, each inspired by a specific era.
Now the first collection is inspired by the play itself, the time in which the story is placed being Ancient Greece. So I took that base and created some designs but from a modern point of view. And since the designs were for theatre costumes, I had the freedom to play with big shapes and unusual cuts, so I have to say I quite enjoyed this.




watercolours, crayons on paper 21 x 29.7 cm


The second collection is inspired by the Renaissance period, that being the time in which the play was written. So I took this from a very romantic point of view, and also from the outfit designs from that period. Therefore I used big collars, puffy dresses, royal fur and delicate fabrics.




watercolours, crayons on white and yellow textured paper 21 x 29.7 cm

The last point of view, was a personal one, a very modern one in which I pictured the play in an Asian theme combined with a dark Gothic ballerina feeling. Red, black and white, as main tones, tutus and tunics. I was inspired by this amazing video Blue Orchid from The White Stripes and Fighter from Christina Aguilera, amazing videos, amazing costumes.




watercolours, crayons on brown and white paper 21 x 29.7 cm


Comments

Popular Posts